Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Problem With Valentine's Day

Okay, let me start by stating firmly that I don't absolutely HATE Valentine's Day. It's a nice day to remind that special someone of how much you love them (truth be told, we should remind them daily), but anyway, it's a nice reminder. And let's be honest, without today, the country's chocolate and flower industry would more than likely go under. You could probably say I don't like Valentine's Day because I've never had a "Valentine" so I've never really celebrated it. Well, that's true. I've never had someone to call my "Valentine" and therefore I've never really celebrated the holiday, except when I was in elementary school when everybody in the class made their own little bag or box and then passed out Valentines to everybody. Other than that, I've never really had someone to spend money for chocolate and flowers on. And while it is a very nice feeling knowing that I get to save at least $40 this year, I do regret a little bit not being able to do that for someone. I mean, I love lots of people. I love my family and friends, but when you're my age, you generally (or at least from what I've seen) buy gifts for someone that is your "significant other", and well, I don't have a "significant other", which, since we're on the subject, I'm kinda alright with that. I know God's got someone out there for me, and I know I should be patient and pray, but if you know me at all, you know that I'm not the most patient person in the world (I'm working on it, I promise!), and I just sometimes wish that God would just put a neon sign over that "someone" so she'd be easier to find. Anyway, back to what I was originally talking about, I don't hate Valentine's Day, I just really dislike it because for myself and some other singles, it's just a lovely reminder of how "alone" we are. But don't let us cynical singles deter you couples from having a lovely Valentine's Day, we're just gonna go over here and have ourselves a Single's Awareness party.

No comments:

Post a Comment